Our vision at Messiah is truly to be “A Place of Welcome where God’s Love is Shared” by reaching out to all people to bring them to faith in Christ. We join in God’s mission of meeting human needs by supporting many local and international mission agencies as well as individual needs within the community. We have a caring congregation that is very supportive of these endeavors, both in action and financially.
Opportunities For Participation
Opportunities for participation in the life of the congregation are many. They include Adult Study, Worship Team, Prayer Group, Alter Guild, Women’s Group, Men’s Book Study, Bible Studies, Special Music and Quilters. On the lighter side we do have fun at Messiah. Every Sunday Service is followed by a coffee fellowship. The February Sweetheart Dinner is always a hit along with a Summer Picnic and Fall Chile Contest. And of course there is always a potluck or two in between complete with green jello!!
A Brief History Of Messiah Lutheran Church
In 1956 the Reverend Ralph Sandgren was charged with the responsibility of establishing a third United Lutheran Church in Billings. The church was to be located north of Grand Avenue and west of 21st Street which was the area allocated to the Northwest Synod by the National Lutheran Council. Land was purchased on the corner of Rehberg Lane and Colton Boulevard totaling 2.87 acres. Title to the property was transferred from Dorothy Reberg of Billings to the English Evangelical Lutheran Synod of the Northwest Synod in Minneapolis and payment was made by the Synod.
At a get acquainted meeting in September the name “Messiah” was chosen for this new church and services began that month in Tech Rec. Hall on Rocky Mountain College campus. Sunday School began in October.
The adoption of the Constitution and election of the Church Council took place on May 12, 1957 and Messiah Lutheran Church was formally organized . A ground breaking ceremony for the construction of the church building took place in June and the first service was held in the new chapel in November. The facility was a 50’ x 26’ frame structure designed like a house. The intent was to use this building until a standard church structure on the same site could be funded and built. The “house” would then be used as a parsonage. This was never necessary as a parsonage was built in 1959 and later sold.
Our current Church home was completed in 1974 with additional space added in 1998 to include a new kitchen, fellowship hall, library, restrooms and office space.
Messiah Lutheran Staff
Kristina Laine Singer Mitzman is the third of four children born to William and Margaret Singer in Billings, Montana in 1957. She was baptized on February 27, 1957 at Peace Lutheran Church by Pastor Ray Dokter and spent the rest of her years at this parish, Messiah Lutheran Church in Billings, Montana. She was confirmed here in 1971 by Reverend Wayne Erickson and was married to Skip here by Reverend Brent Campbell in 1991.
Kris graduated from Billings Senior High School in 1975 and Montana State University in 1979 with a degree in Elementary Education with a music concentration. She taught school for 25 years and then entered seminary, graduating in 2009 from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago with a Biblical Emphasis.
Kris spent many years as the choir director and music coordinator at Messiah Lutheran, as well as serving in many other capacities. She did her seminary internship at Saint John’s Lutheran Ministries, Billings, and our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Laurel. She has served as interim pastor in Westby, Our Savior’s in Laurel, and Messiah Lutheran in Billings.
The Congregational Council
The Council has responsibility for the general oversight of the life and activities of the congregational and shall be responsible for all financial and property matters. Pastors in ELCA churches are members of the Church Council with full voice and vote and provide leadership and spiritual direction.